The National Safety Council’s 8-Hour Defensive Driving Course is accredited by the SCDMV as the point reduction program. Successful completion of DDC-8 will reduce four (4) points off of your license. The course is offered at the SCNSC Training Center in Irmo, SC as well as 16 Technical Colleges across the state of South Carolina. Register online for our Irmo, SC location, or contact your local technical college listed below.
- SCNSC Training Center | Irmo, SC - (803) 732-6778
- Aiken Technical College - (803) 593-9231
- Central Carolina Technical College - (803) 778-6656
- Denmark Technical College - (803) 793-5176
- Florence-Darlington Technical College - (843) 661-8324
- Greenville Technical College - (864) 250-8183
- Horry-Georgetown Technical College - (843) 477-2020
- Midlands Technical College - (800) 922-8038
- Northeastern Technical College - (843) 921-6900
- Orangeburg-Calhoun Technical College - (803) 536-0311
- Piedmont Technical College - (800) 868-5528
- Spartanburg Community College - (864) 592-4600
- Technical College of the Lowcountry - (843) 525-8205
- Tri-County Technical College - (864) 646-1700
- Trident Technical College - (843) 574-6111
- Williamsburg Technical College - (843) 355-4110
- York Technical College - (803) 327-8000
South Carolina Point Reduction Program
Completion of the National Safety Council’s Defensive Driving 8-Hour Course can be used for up to a four point reduction on a driver’s Motor Vehicle Record. (This information only applies to individuals with a valid South Carolina Drivers License.)
Effective September 28, 2009, South Carolina drivers seeking to reduce their points and avoid suspension by attending a defensive driving course must complete the course before the suspension begins. They will have 30 days from the date of the suspension notice until the date the suspension begins. Once the suspension begins, the point reduction will not cancel the suspension. Points may still only be reduced once in a three-year period.
If the violation date is before the Defensive Driving Course completion date, credit of up to four points will be given. All violations occurring after the completion date of the course will not be accepted.
Point reduction is good once every three (3) years.
If an individual has one, two, or three points assessed against his/her Motor Vehicle Record and the individual requests point reduction, he/she will be given however many points showing on their MVR at this time, and will not be eligible to receive point reduction again for three (3) years.
South Carolina law allows up to twelve (12) points before license suspension occurs.
The Defensive Driving Course is taught throughout South Carolina at the Technical College System locations. Individuals completing the Defensive Driving Course at any of these locations will automatically receive a point reduction unless they request otherwise. All Technical College point reduction rosters are submitted weekly to the South Carolina Highway Department. If time is critical in the point reduction process, the Completion Certificate should be hand carried to the Driver Service Window at 1630 Shop Road in Columbia, SC.
All individuals completing a Defensive Driving Course through any other organization or state may receive point reduction by mailing a copy of their National Safety Council Defensive Driving 8-Hour Completion Certificate (please do not send the original) with a money order for $20.00 to the Southeastern Chapter - National Safety Council, 121 Ministry Drive, Irmo, SC 29063. We will accept a fax copy that accompanies a credit card number. (VISA, MasterCard, Discover)
Individuals requesting point reduction may also hand deliver their entire, original Completion Certificate to the Driver Service Window at 1630 Shop Road in Columbia, SC.
All questions regarding driver license status or violation information should be referred to Driver Service at 803-896-5000.
Want to become a DDC-8 Instructor? Click here for more information.